How to drive well? Improve your driving experience now
What does it mean to be a good driver? How to drive a vehicle well? Make the most of the possibilities of your vehicle, optimize your safety and comfort at the wheel, be aware of the state of your car ...
Driving in an optimal way is not only a matter of technical knowledge but also depends on your attitude behind the wheel. Losing the vices that you have acquired over the years and becoming a five-star driver is possible. Find out how.
Is it the better driver to put ahead of all safety, even sacrificing the efficiency of his time behind the wheel? Or the one who knows how to get the most out of his car, even at certain risks? How to drive well-combining efficiency and safety? When you get behind the wheel of a car, you are placing yourself in command of a machine with a weight of more than one ton, which travels at a very high speed and responds not only to your orders but also to the laws of physics. Therefore, as a driver, you must make use of both your technical and mechanical knowledge, as well as the basic attitudes and rules of movement. All this, always from the perspective of common sense and without losing sight of your safety and that of those who travel with you. It doesn't seem so simple, right?
1.How to drive a car well: five quick and easy tips
How to learn to drive well? Is it possible to forget some vices on the road and become safer and more agile drivers? Whether you have been driving for years or have just taken your license, it is possible that you have already accumulated some series of attitudes and procedures behind the wheel that do not favor your comfort, efficiency or safety while driving. Don't worry: there are some very simple tips that you can start implementing today.
- Educate your vision: it is not enough to concentrate your attention on a single point of the road or look only at what happens in front of you. You must learn to have an overview of what is happening around you, and thus avoid mishaps with cars that are incorporated into the road or that make overtaking. Also, raise your concentration to the maximum in case of adverse weather conditions: visibility when driving with snow, for example, can be greatly reduced.
- Anticipate curves: how to drive well in a curve? Being cautious is essential. Start braking and reduce your speed whenever you are still on the straight, turn with both hands on the steering wheel, and start accelerating at the start, at the same moment you start to undo the curve.
- Learn to brake: the brake is not the same when we are parking a vehicle than when we have to hit a brake to avoid a collision on a highway. In the latter case, you must brake very hard, pressing the pedal to the maximum and holding the steering wheel well, forgetting about the clutch, the gearbox or the accelerator.
- Avoid distractions: most accidents on our roads are due to distractions at the wheel.
- Save fuel: how to drive a gasoline car well? And a diesel? In both cases, using long gears and avoiding sudden acceleration changes can be of great help. Likewise, moderating yourself with the use of air conditioning during the summer will help you to moderate your consumption.
2. Start by checking your car
Do not forget that an agile, firm and safe driving, both for you and for the vehicles around you, begins with the correct preparation of your vehicle. Being a good driver is not only shown on the road, but also in the concern about the state of your car. It is not enough that you are attentive to the level of fuel, cleaning and eventual breakdowns of your vehicle: it is essential that, periodically, perform routine checks that, in addition, will not take you too long. If you want to drive without fear and with total confidence in your vehicle, try to always be aware of:
- The correct operation of the front, directional, stop and reserve lights
- The level of all liquids: coolant, antifreeze, brake fluids, oil, and fuel
- The condition of your tires, their grooves, and their cold pressure
- The level of wear of your tires
3. Essential settings before starting
On the other hand, beyond the mechanical aspects of your vehicle, there are a number of settings of your car that you should not overlook before driving and that will provide you with more comfortable driving experience. Try not to start your engine without calibrating before:
- The position of the mirrors.
- The driver's seat. Adjust it so that your back is straight, without moving more than 25% away from the vertical, so that you can move your legs easily and reach the pedals. If when you fully stretch your arm, you touch the steering wheel ring with your wrist, you are in the correct position.
- The position of the head restraint, fundamental to prevent injuries, especially in the event that a vehicle hits you from the rear.
- The belt. The star of all precautions behind the wheel. Adjust it above the collarbone and above the waist, and avoid any type of ‘gadget’ that can help you keep it looser.
Also, make sure you carry everything you need with you: documentation, maps, water ... Do not forget your glasses, in case you need them, especially if you are driving at night.
4. How to drive a car?
To know how to drive a car, you have to have knowledge of the basic controls of the car. You must be familiar with the elements around you and their position before starting the car. Taking into account that you will be sitting in the place of the pilot, the elements that you will handle at first are: handbrake, steering wheel, pedals, control panel, directional light lever, high and low beam lever, windshield wiper lever and various buttons that can change depending on the car model you are going to use. Once you have knowledge of all these buttons and controls and are familiar with its operation, you can prepare for the first step of driving that is to start the march. And, please, keep in mind that from Compramostucoche.es we always recommend not to get into a car as a driver, under any circumstances, if you do not have the appropriate license or if you are not in the process of learning and there is a professional vigilante. You should never keep in mind how to drive a car without a license as it would be illegal and dangerous for you and for all other pedestrians and drivers.
- How to start the march. Once you have the car running, to move it, you must step on the clutch fully and place the lever in the first gear position. Keep in mind that the pedals are not made to drive barefoot so it is recommended to wear appropriate footwear. Then you can press the accelerator a little until you notice a slight change of sound and from there you can start releasing the clutch, always gently, and press the accelerator slightly to maintain a good speed.
It should be noted, at this point, that the most difficult thing when it comes to knowing how to drive a car, is knowing how to take that 'balance' between the pedals, so do not despair and, also count on that it is not the same to drive a car It is normal to know how to drive a hybrid car. The key to a good start is to inject only the necessary amount of gasoline into the engine through the throttle and, at the same time, release the clutch very smoothly so that the gears can engage naturally.
- Braking. Nowadays all cars have an ABS braking system whose operation is very simple: with the wheels locked the car has no direction. So the ABS prevents the front wheels can be blocked no matter how strong we brake. In this way, if we have to stop to park or for a traffic light, everything will be very simple. But stopping when we go at high speed to avoid a collision is something different.
If we have to stop the car in case of a probable collision, we only have to do two things, but very well done. You have to brake very hard as if we were going to break the pedal and steer the car with the steering wheel to a safe place. We must forget everything else (gearshift, clutch, and accelerator) if what we want is to brake well and quickly. For reasons like this and because you lose contact surface to step on the pedals efficiently, it is also not advisable to drive with heels.
- Possible distractions. When driving, you have to use common sense a lot. The most serious accidents are usually the result of a small distraction, so it is better to avoid being distracted and not manipulate devices while driving, whether mobile phones, video devices or even drinks and meals. It is also recommended not to drive with plaster since in addition to being fined, it prevents you from executing the necessary movements to have a smooth driving. It is also preferable, as some experts recommend, to avoid certain conversations that may cause us a state of excitement, such as an argument with a companion.
It is also important that you know how to keep the distance when driving and, of course, that you respect the traffic rules, a topic on which you will find a lot of information on our website
How to circulate in roundabouts: the definitive guide
There are so many people who wonder how to circulate in the roundabouts that even Traffic has developed a communication campaign about it that includes several infographics explaining how a driver should be incorporated into a roundabout, how it should circulate inside it and what is the way correct to take the exit without jeopardizing one's own safety and that of the other drivers. Follow the indications we give you to know how to circulate correctly in the roundabouts.
The first point that must be taken into account when establishing how to drive through roundabouts is the priority of passage. As stated in article 57 of the General Traffic Regulation, "In the roundabouts, those who are within the circular route will have a preference of passage over those who intend to access them." In addition, to clear any trace of doubt that may exist in this regard, we always give a step painted in the lane of incorporation to the roundabout that reminds us that we have no priority. As regards access to the roundabout, the rule states that it must be done from the right lane in cases where it is free, regardless of the direction we are going to follow. So far, we see that it does not involve too much difficulty and that it is something very basic that we are taught when we want to learn to drive a car.
Once inside the roundabout, if we are driving on the right lane (what we should do, unless we need to make an overtaking), we do not have to change to the left to facilitate the maneuver of incorporation of the vehicles that are in the access lanes. As we have said before, the priority is for who is inside the roundabout. However, there is a general obligation to facilitate the incorporation maneuver whenever possible and that the safety of other drivers is not jeopardized. It goes without saying that all lateral displacement must be duly indicated by the flashing lights, as in any other situation. Finally, the path must always be followed, giving the curve perfectly and completely and not crossing the roundabout in a straight line, which would cut the trajectory of the other vehicles and could cause an accident.
Perhaps the aspect on which there is greater confusion is how to leave the roundabout. To do this, we must indicate in advance our intention to take the next exit, which we must do following the maximum of not altering the trajectory of other cars. You should always exist from the outside lane unless the signaling with arrows on the pavement indicates that other lanes can be used to take the exit. And remember, before performing a dangerous and reckless maneuver, it is always preferable to take another round of the roundabout. .
6. Do you know the turbo roundabouts?
From the DGT they have detected that there are many drivers who do not know how to drive in the roundabouts and, therefore, they have created the so-called turbo-rounds, which are already used in several European countries although in Spain they are not yet very popular. Its specificity is that it indicates with marks on the ground how to move within them, which can be especially useful to know how to circulate in roundabouts of several lanes. For example, movements with a continuous line are limited, so if we are in the inner lane, we can see that we are prevented from taking our exit to avoid cutting the trajectory of the vehicles that circulate on our right. The opposite case could also occur if we went through the outer lane and were forced to take an exit to prevent us from invading the inner lane and endangering the drivers that were there.
The instructions are clear, but the fact of having to pay special attention to them means that, for now, the turbo-rounds have not succeeded in our country.