A healthy life doesn’t mean just a balanced diet and regular exercise; it also means a good night’s sleep. Poor sleep quality has immediate negative effects on hormones and brain function while long-term effects can be catastrophic. If you don’t have a quality night’s sleep, here are a few proven tips to help you sleep better.
- Increased bright light exposure during the day. Your body’s circadian rhythm is kept healthy with the help of natural sunlight or bright light, so expose yourself to it as much as possible. Increased bright light exposure is proven to help people suffering from insomnia to enjoy improved sleep quality and duration, so it will help you as well.
- Reduced blue light exposure in the evening. Exposing yourself to blue light in the evening will basically trick your circadian rhythm that it is still daytime. This means that you will have difficulties falling asleep.
- No caffeine late in the day. Caffeine has its benefits but only when taken in a single dose, early in the morning.
- Sleep and wake at consistent times. This will help your body establish a rhythm and follow it.
- Take a melatonin supplement. It is used by people suffering from insomnia and it can help you easier fall asleep as well. You can also try supplements such as valerian root, lavender, magnesium, and ginkgo Biloba.
- Optimize the bedroom environment. The bedroom and its setup are key factors for a good night’s sleep. Minimize external noise and light, opt for a relaxing and decluttered furniture arrangement, and set a balanced temperature.
- Take a relaxing bath or shower. This can also help you sleep better.
- Change your mattress. If the one that you use right now is an old mattress, then you need a new one as fast as possible. New and improved technology is available on the market and you should benefit from it to the fullest.
If you don’t know much about mattresses and how to choose one that suits you, there is very helpful information available online. There are plenty of sites especially designed to help you make a choice that suits your needs and preferences. You will learn how to choose the right size, the material of the mattress, and its topper. You will also be taught how to establish a correct budget for a quality mattress to suit your needs. If you feel that you don’t have enough information on how to select a mattress, check out websites available online. You will access very useful information that will guide you towards a purchase that you are not going to regret. Why is it so important to buy a new mattress, especially if the one that you are now using is a few years old? Because new mattresses use improved technology that helps you stay cool during the night, get rid of night sweats, and neck and back pain. These are all elements that affect your night’s sleep and thus your overall health and you can have them all removed with the help of a good mattress.